KSL.com, Salt Lake City, UT – In February 2010, the entire Toone family ??? Nathan, Brenda and their four children ??? became ill from what they initially thought was food poisoning. When 4-year-old Rebecca took a turn for the worst, she was rushed to the hospital where she later died. Three days later, 15-month-old Rachel passed away, too.
Investigators later blamed the girls’ deaths on fumes from rat poison that a technician placed too close to the Toone’s home. In the midst of their grief, the Toone family did something no one expected. They immediately expressed forgiveness. And according to Nathan, expressing forgiveness so soon after the deaths felt like the right thing to do.
“It didn’t feel at the time like a hard thing to do,” he said. “You don’t know what you’re capable of until you’re asked to be put through it. We knew that the technician who was responsible for the deaths of our girls didn’t do it intentionally. Bad things happen. I think that in general you need to look for the best in people.”
Brenda agreed. “I felt that desire to forgive just hours after Rebecca passed away,”??she said. “I think part of it has to do with wanting be the kind of person that my daughters can still be proud of.”
Read the full story: “Family of girls killed by pesticide talk about forgiveness, lessons learned.”