Advantages to forgiveness:
- Social scientific experiments since 1993 have shown that as people take the time to forgive, they can increase in hope and self-esteem and decrease in anger, anxiety, and depression.
- Forgiveness might get the attention of the one who did wrong, leading to that person’s seeking forgiveness.
- Forgiving and seeking forgiveness can open the door to a genuine reconciliation.
- As a moral virtue, forgiveness is good in and of itself because it is the offer of goodness. This goodness is not made less good if the other rejects that offer of forgiveness.
- Forgiveness puts more love in the world.
So, what do you think? Do you see advantages to forgiveness or do you remain skeptical?
For additional information, see: Why forgiveness is the right thing to do physically, spiritually and socially.